Treating mould in your home

As many of us are aware, the frequent rain over the past few months has created the perfect environment for the growth of mould. Exposure to mould can cause health problems, especially in people with reduced immune function and chronic disease, so it is important to remove any mould in your home as soon as possible.

If you have a severe mould problem it’s best to bring in the professionals, but for minor issues here are some tips to keep mould under control:

  1. Protect yourself. Wear good quality rubber gloves while cleaning mouldy items. Protect your eyes with safety goggles, and a mask is recommended to help avoid breathing in the microscopic spores.

  2. Do not scrub or brush mould from a surface as this will spread mould spores.

  3. Vacuuming mould will also send mould spores into the air and spread it to other areas.

  4. Non-porous items such as glassware and some plastics can be washed in hot water with a bleach solution or with a good quality disinfectant and air dried.

  5. Bleach will make the mould disappear but it does not kill all of it and it will comes back. Do not mix bleach and vinegar or use at the same time as it creates a dangerous chlorine gas.

  6. Vinegar will help kill the mould including spores. Try this DIY mould cleaner. Add 1 part vinegar, 1 part water and a little dishwashing detergent to a spray bottle. Vinegar can also be used undiluted. Leave for an hour and wipe off.

  7. Tea tree oil or clove oil and water. Add 15 drops into a spray bottle, spray onto mouldy areas and leave for a couple of hours before wiping away.

  8. Vinegar can also be used to remove mould stains on fabric. Soak in a bucket of water with 1-2 cups of vinegar and then wash in the washing machine with detergent as usual.

To reduce the chance of mould regrowth, the affected area must be dried out. The easiest way to dry a room is to let the sunshine in – mould hates the sun. Once the rain stops, open the windows and doors to increase ventilation.


If large areas of mould keep occurring, please consult a professional mould remover.


Source: https: www.health.qld.gov.au/disaster